Stars and Stripes
Painters Tape and a sponge are used to create this very cool looking version of the US flag. Great for 4th July Celebrations
- A sponge
- Drafting Tape (0.5" wide)
- Red, white and blue paint
- White Paper (8"x10")
- Using pencil, draw a square about 3" x 3" in the top left corner of your paper
- Place masking tape in parallel lines down the page, leaving spaces in between strips of tape that are of the same width as the tape itself. The tape should run form the left of the page to the right - but should not cover the square drawn in the step above.
- Using a small sponge, apply red paint to the flag, making sure that it is all covered with paint apart from the top left hand square. Paint that blue.
- When the paint is dry, remove the tape to reveal white lines between the red painted lines.
- Cut a small piece of sponge into a star shape. Dip this into the white paint and "stamp" white stars onto the blue square.
- Your flag is complete
- Be sure to press the tape down firmly to ensure that the red paint does not seep under the tape. You should also take care when sponging the red paint onto the flag for the same reason.
- When removing the tape do so with extreme caution to be sure that the paper does not become ripped.
- You could also make T-shirts using this technique. Some great examples can be found here: grandparentsplus.com and here kidsactivitiesblog.com