Splatter Paintings - Pollock Style
Jackson Pollock was made famous for producing art from splatter's of paint. It's not uncommon to hear people viewing his art say - "my kids could do that". In this project, you let your kids try to do just that - and you will be amazed by the results. The finished artwork will be probably be worthy of a space on your living room wall. But, the best part of this project is the process - it is truly a means for self expression. There is something incredibly therapeutic about watching the art emerge as you splash the paint onto the canvas. Just be sure to do it outside with where the mess is ok, and wear clothes you don't mind being covered in paint!
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brushes
- Plastic spoons
- Pre-stretched Canvas Frames
- Small pots for paint
- First, choose a background color. Paint the entire canvas in this color (or colors). Leave to dry.
- Choose the colors you wish to make splatters with. Put about a tablespoon of each of these into small pots.
- Using a teaspoon, slowly add water to each pot, stirring in between, until the consistency of the paint is about that of runny honey.
- Now let loose! Splatter paint all over the canvas, layering the colors on top of each other. Flick a paintbrush to get small splatters. To be bigger dollups and splatters, use a teaspoon - scoop up the paint in the spoon and then fling it at the canvas. Be sure to walk all around the canvas as you do this.
- Acrylic paint is not water soluble so please be sure that you do not do this activity anywhere were you mind having paint splatters. In the centre of the lawn is an ideal location.
- You can show your child examples of Pollock Paintings to help inspire their choice of color and splatter style.
- This is a particularly fab project to do with active boys. They will relish the opportunity to channel their energy into paint splattering!
- Did you know that Jackson Pollock's art is defined as Abstract Expressionism. More info on this extraordinary painter can be found on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org
- A cautionary note: before you get too excited that you will make millions from your child's masterpieces, check out this article: www.firstthings.com
✶✶✶✶✶ Not yet reviewed
Useful supplies- our picks from Amazon for this project:
Related Books- our picks from Amazon for this project:
- Art / Craft Techniques and Styles: Abstract Art
- Famous Artists: Pollock, Jackson
- By Gender: For Boys