These are a variation on the Easter Chicks that are on the activityvillage.co.uk. They used polystyrene eggs - we decided to dye real eggs.
|Duration||Under 15 minutes|
- Chicken Egg (If you can find a white one, they are best)
- Googly Eyes
- Orange Card
- White Vinegar
- Yellow Craft Feathers
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Dissolve drops of food coloring to about 3/4 cup very hot water until the water is colored bright yellow. You will meed about 20-30 drops of liquid color
- Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar. Stir
- Place the egg in the colored water. Leave it there for around 5 minutes or until the egg is the desired color. The longer that you leave the egg, the older the color.
- Leave to dry
- Cut the orange card into "feet" shapes. These need to be big enough to support the weight of the egg. Also cut a small diamond shape for the beak.
- Using a hot glue gun, stick the egg to the card "feet" and stick on the chicks beak
- Add the googly eyes and feathers for wings.
- Food Coloring will stain clothing and surfaces.
- Adding vinegar to the water helps to make to color of the egg brighter. However, don't leave the egg in the vinegar water too long, it works by softening the shell and allowing the dye to penetrate it. If you are not careful you will end up with a squishy egg.