Acorn Glue Cups (Treasure)
A great fall activity – turn simple acorn cups into delightful sparkling treasures – gems for your little pirate or princess or tiny tea cups for your fairy garden. These are easy enough for preschoolers to enjoy making – and are fascinating to watch drying. Simply color the insides of acorn cups and “varnish” with white school glue!
- Acorn Cups
- Playdough or modelling clay
- Washable Marker Pens
- White School Glue (e.g. Elmers)
- Using washable markers, color the inside of the acorn cups
- Push the acorn cups into the playdough so that they are supported in an upright position
- Fill the acorn cups with the white glue
- Allow the acorn cups to dry – this may take several days; but is beautiful to watch as the glue starts to dissolve the colors from the marker pens
- Enjoy playing with your treasure!
- Acorns are attractive homes for critters. If you want to use acorns for crafts then it is worth drying them to make sure they are insect free! Do this by spreading your acorns out on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and baking at 175 F for about 2 hours, shaking the tray occasionally.
The best bit of this activity was when the acorns were drying. They looked so pretty. Once dry my kids had fun playing fairies.