A fun, refreshing and super healthy treat for the kids - watermelon popsicles! These are straightforward to make with a little patience and are guaranteed to be popular with the whole family. Make them for National Watermelon Day - celebrated on August 3rd each year.
- 1 Pear
- 3 cups of cubed Watermelon
- A few leaves of baby spinach
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Popsicle Sticks (8)
- Small paper cups (8)
- Remove any pips from your watermelon
- Put the watermelon into a blender, and pulse until the watermelon is liquid
- Pour the watermelon mixture into the paper cups leaving about half an inch at the top.
- Place the cups in the freezer for about 40 minutes
- The watermelon mix should have started to freeze and will now be slushy. Push about 10-12 mini chocolate chips into the mixture trying to distribute them evenly - i.e. push some deep and others shallow - some around the edges, and others in the middle
- Now push a popsicle stick into the centre of each cup. The mix should be firm enough to hold the stick upright.
- Return to the freezer for an hour or until frozen solid.
- Place the pear and spinach leaves in the blender along with a 1/4 cup water. Blend until liquid.
- Carefully pour the green mix onto the top of the popsicles and return to the freezer for another hour or until frozen solid.
- Once frozen, you are ready to enjoy. Simply lower the popsicle into warm water for a few seconds (do not submerge!) to loosen, and then pull gently to remove
- The spinach leaves will make the mix green - but their taste should be masked by the flavor and sweetness of the pear - a great way to get even the most reluctant eater to consume some greens!