Bagel Bird Feeder
The birds in your yard will have fun feasting on these easy to make bird feeders made from bagels and seeds....
- Bird Seed
- Dowel or Kebab Stick
- Smooth Peanut Butter
- String (about 60cm long)
- Thread the string through the bagel and tie a knot between the ends to create a big loop - this will be used to fasten the bagel to a tree branch.
- Coat your bagels in peanut butter
- Spread the bird seed out on a plate, and roll the bagel in the seed - the seeds will stick to the peanut butter. Make sure that as many seeds as possible are pressed into the bagel.
- Poke the kebab stick all the way through the bagel - this will form a perch for the birds to sit on when eating the seed.
- Hang the bird feeder bagel outdoors and wait for your bird visitors to enjoy their feast.
- You can easily use other materials as the base for these bird feeders - rice cakes, pine cones, toilet paper rolls, card, bark on a tree etc
- If you have a child with peanut allergies, you can use vegetable shortening instead of peanut butter in this activity.
- Try to hang your bird feeder somewhere where it can't be easily accessed by a cat or other predators!
- The National Bird Feeding Association have some great information on attracting birds and feeding them safely. www.birdfeeding.org
- Some people have concerns about using peanut butter for feeding birds. Family.com have put together a useful discussion of some of these concerns here: www.familycorner.com